9.17.2019

Strategic Ways to Not OverWhelm Your Busy-Ass Life


It's September!! And if you don't know what that means, it means its ihavetoomuchtodoandnotimetodoit  season! Also known as, Virgo season! Which, I am a Leo-Virgo cusp and this time of year means chaos for me. All chaos aside, I've actually had quite the summer and was anticipating fall to roll around sometime soon. Everyone's back into their routines, or at least trying to cope with their routines, and I have just completed my first week of my junior year of college. Yay. 

It can be overwhelming when the to-do lists, responsibilities, deadlines, assignments, projects, and every other stressful thing possible lands on your plate all at once. If there's one week I hate, it's syllabus week. When your professors hand you a packet of every single test and paper due in the next ten weeks of your life. 

This weekend I needed to ground myself: I did some yoga, ran some errands, walked my pup, babysat, and tackled what now is an entirely full planner of commitments and things I don't want to do. So I took a step back and thought about ways in which I can make this overhaul of chaos better. Much better. 

Make Your Schedule

It always helps me when I can visually see all of the tasks I need completed by a certain date and time. Choose what works best for you. I like to use a planner and highlight all of my classes, along with meetings and clubs, and other commitments in different colors. I also utilize a weekly desk calendar that only shows what I need to do that week. Even using sticky notes on your computer works! 

Engage, Then Disengage

I am a victim of doing other things when I should be doing something else. Especially when I should be relaxing and I try to take advantage of my relaxing time for more work time. I understand time crunches and totally stand by that, but when you need a break, take it. Even if that means dedicating an hour to going to the gym, watching a movie, or getting your nails done. 

Remember Priorities

Taking time for yourself is a priority. You have to remember that you will be working for basically your entire life and balance is key! Do what needs to be done, but don't push yourself if it's feeling like you can't handle so much at once. People are there to support you and want to see you succeed, sometimes that means taking your foot off the gas pedal. 

Make Time You Need to Relax

Everyone says that "there's not enough time" for anything, but that's usually because they don't make the time to do something. "There's not enough time to relax," "I can't fit yoga classes into my schedule," or "I'm just too busy to get some time for myself," are some things I often hear. One thing to consider is your sleep-wake cycle. Are you getting enough sleep? What time do you normally go to bed? Could this be effecting your energy levels? Sleep is something to consider when you're staying up until 2am trying to finish work for Monday. 

These are all things to consider that might help alleviate stress, anxiety, and a feeling of overwhelm as the new season transitions into a busy one. Balance is something I cannot stress enough. Divide up your day so that you have breaks and time to re-adjust and reset. What do you do to not overwhelm your busy ass life? 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!