5.14.2019

Let's Talk...Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable

No one chooses to be uncomfortable, but more and more I am finding myself in uncomfortable positions in all aspects of life: in yoga, academically, socially, mentally, etc. Our comfort bubbles are what we are so used to being in that sometimes I feel like I need to be forced out of it. Transitioning to college was a huge uncomfortable phase and I'm sure there are more to come. 

So, how do we tackle this discomfort? It could be from just an icky feeling in your gut or an overall sense of despair and fear. I still do yoga and am continuing this journey of discomfort in all of the poses I do and have done for the past five years. Today, my instructor taught us about embracing our fears—embracing this discomfort we are feeling and to let it go. Mind over matter. 
I already know that this year and the upcoming school year will be very crucial times for me to get focused on my future. However, I'm taking up big leadership roles with a couple groups I'm in like Her Campus DePaul and PRSSA. I will be the president of Her Campus next year, and while I am very excited to be leading this amazing group of female writers, I'm already apprehensive about how much work I will be stressing over. 

Sometimes the biggest things we want cause the most discomfort, more than you know. I guess worrying about it now doesn't do any good, but I'm always thinking a year ahead of everybody else. My life would be so much easier if I didn't care too much about things, so I brought this topic up because I'm sure I'm not alone. 
It could also be my Leo/Virgo personality taking over, but I really think there has to be a time when we all just get comfortable being uncomfortable in all types of situations. I'll be going to Europe in a month (OMG) and literally have no idea what to expect. I know it will be great and I know I'm in a great group of people, but there are still a lot of things I don't know about where I'm headed. 

In times like these, I think it's best to take a step back and just appreciate everything that's coming your way—good or bad. There's always a lesson to be learned and room to grow. Maybe you're headed to an interview, audition, getting a promotion, traveling, taking an exam, whatever it may be! I know that I got through it, so you can too. Enjoy it while it's good.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!