5.21.2019

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

"Patience, young grasshopper," they say. As much as I can hear my dad saying it to me, waving his hand in front of my face to instil some kind of force, the word "patience" has a very negative connotation to it. When our moms and dads told us to "be patient" as kids, we saw it as a punishment. As a result, we obsessed more and sat in discomfort until we got what we wanted or needed. In all aspects of life, waiting is just one of those uncomfortable things we have to deal with. Whether it be waiting for a job offer, exam grade, interview results, etc., I constantly find areas in my life that require very strong acts of patience. 
Waiting is hard, but waiting can be the most rewarding. Something as little as waiting for shoes to go on sale or waiting for a better job opportunity—proof in the pudding, waiting has shown to result in better outcomes. So, why do we insist on things happen here and now? Maybe because we think we're just entitled to everything, shouldn't have to wait, do the work, make the struggle, or who knows what. We like certainty and hate not knowing what the future holds. 

For a while, I have been trying to figure out what I'm doing in college and what I want to do with my major. Especially with internships and the organizations that I am in, it seems that so suddenly all of the things I was hoping for have just kinda made their way to me and I am quite overwhelmed. I don't want to discredit the fact that I have worked very hard for these things, but it seems too real

For one thing, I will be going to Europe in less than a month—a dream of mine I have had since I was seven. I'll be leading Her Campus next year, continuing my position on the board of DePaul PRSSA, joining the Bateman public relations campaign, possibly being a writing tutor, and interviewing for upcoming internship opportunities. Already, I am beginning to think that my waiting time has come and I need to make some well-judged and thought out decisions about what I really want to do. 
I've also noticed that lately, I have worried so much about the future. Being proactive in goal making and being aware of the choices I make now will have an impact on where I end up is great, but stressing and obsessing over it has made me less present in the work I am doing right now and time just sighs at me. Like Natalie, take a deep breath and chill. 

As much as I would love to say that my stress about the future will disappear—it won't. However, I have learned to cope with waiting and being patient; I am appreciating what I got now and putting in the work I'm passionate about, which has made me more so grounded. 

You think now you are waiting for something bigger, better, higher, but I can tell you that what you have now is probably just as great. The joy is in the being. I think that honest work and passion prevail. What you do now with your time will be all worth it when you see just how far you come. With that, there are going to be great things ahead, so don't fear the unknown. 

"Patience, young grasshopper,"- Master Po, Kung Fu

1 comment

  1. Patience is definitely a virtue! Best of luck with your new ventures yet to come x
    Amber | www.amberatlanta.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!