6.07.2018

Reflecting on My Freshman Year

I remember what my first month of college was like: I was so excited, nervous, anxious, and ready for a new adventure. I'm sure some of you are at that point in your life when you are also ready to start a new beginning, whether that be at college, a new job, or a life stage achievement. It seems like it was yesterday when I was reflecting on the first couple of weeks. From this year alone, I've learned more about myself and the person I want to be—that's one of the major discoveries in college. 
Not everyone who goes to college knows exactly what they want to do or where they want to end up. Personally, I still have no idea where I want to be and what I want to do. My major is still Public Relations, but to be honest, I have no idea what I can really do or what I would want to do with it yet. I have declared a minor in Spanish because I miss taking a language and knowing how to speak another language. Not only will it allow me to communicate with way more people, it will take me out of my comfort zone and hopefully I can travel more with this useful skill. 

With majors and interests in college, I would highly recommend choosing ones that interest you the most and not just because your dad or mom told you it would make you financially stable in the future. It's 2018, do what you love. That said, college has allowed me to break free from the academic constraints at my high school. I have taken so many classes already that I've genuinely enjoyed and succeeded in because I chose them. Next year I'm taking a mythology class! 
I thought I was going to be really stressed this year and surprisingly, my stress levels have probably decreased since high school. I was so worried about where I was going and once I actually got to college, there was sudden relief of weight off my shoulders and I can just fully apply myself without anything bugging or distracting me. Of course, my anxiety never leaves, but I've found it easier to manage.

I have also been more in the moment when it comes to making bolder and riskier decisions. We get so comfortable at home and I made it a priority to get out of my comfort zone a bit and just live my life while I'm still young (wow cliché Nat). While it does seem very pretentious of a college student to feel so much independence and freedom, you still need to remember who you are and what you value when you go off to college. 
College is not for everybody, but for those who are going or are currently in college, I offer you my thoughts on Freshman year and more advice in this post I wrote last week, here. It's a continual learning experience, more about yourself than anything else. Accepting others, as well as yourself, embracing failure and growth, applying yourself more, is what's to come. You will hit highs and lows, but as long as you stay true to yourself, you'll have a happy, healthy, and memorable four years. 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!