3.30.2017

My Disney Band Trip | 2017

Hello all! I know it has been a rough couple of weeks, but over this past weekend, I got the amazing opportunity to travel all the way from Chicago to "the happiest place on earth"--Walt Disney World. It was a very well deserved trip that my entire highschool marching band had earned. If you're new here, I am was on color guard for three years and I have been truly blessed to have been with a great family of amazing friends. It has been one heck of a year and a high school career for that matter, and I couldn't have asked for anything better. 
My marching band was invited to march in Epcot's day parade and we were to travel a 20+ hour bus ride (ugh) all the way to Florida. While I have to say, it really wasn't that bad being on a bus with all of my friends, it did start to weaken as we came back home (it smelled like pee lemme just tell yuh). Besides the little things I remembered, like our insane bus driver that we loved (shoutout to ma boi Terry), our dope bus ("Bus #1, yaw yaw yaw!), or just giggling at the most randomest whale jokes, the journey was not as amazing as the destination. We were there from Saturday until Monday (March 24-26) at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and then Universal Studios. 
Day 1: Magic Kingdom
I was there with all of my band and color guard friends and on the first day, we went straight from a 20 hour bus ride to a 20 hour marathon of walking and riding. I was the most excited for Magic Kingdom because it has been about 6 years since my last visit and I was feeling the nostalgia a lot once we got there. So many things I remembered and so many new things I had never seen before like Belle's castle or the new Dwarves ride that I ended up loving. 

We got fastpasses to three things; space mountain, splash mountain, and to meet Rapunzel and Tiana. I had never done any of those things because when I was little I was in the "weenie club", my mom would taunt at me...then I'd just get ice cream and everything would be fine. Ah those were the good ol' days. 
 Day 2: Epcot and the Parade
Epcot was one of my favorite parks when I visited a very long time ago because I loved all of the world showcases and different countries to go and explore. Plus, it was mostly shopping and I never really liked rides. In the morning, the band and I had time to kill and do some stuff before the 3 pm parade, so my group and I did Test Track twice with out fast pass which was one of the smartest ideas. I love that ride so much because it takes you through a test drive and you go almost 600 miles an hour. Whenever my dad would drive really fast or recklessly (I do not condone), he would say that we're in Test Track. 
After that ride, we headed to all of the showcases and explored the countries. We also had a fastpass to go meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy! It was really funny because Mickey left me to go grab Minni from Goofy and it I was Mickey's new Minnie. 
Probably the most epic part of the trip was marching. It was one of the most fulfilling moments I had ever felt throughout my entire marching season. When they announced our band twice in the park, I nearly teared up because it was such a great feeling to be there in Disney doing what I love with the people I love. 
We performed Thnks Fr Th Mmrs by Fall Out Boy and, while I didn't really approve of the song as a marching song, it was still a really fun song to perform to in Disney. I just can't believe that it's finally over. The last hoorah that many former band members never got. 
After being in our hot and sweaty uniforms in the beautiful, 80 degrees and sunny weather (as opposed to Chicago's 40 and rainy) we changed and received a golden Mickey award for marching! We also got Disney performing arts hats that I ended up embroidering and getting signed by Mickey himself. 
Day 3: Universal Studios
 I had never been to Universal before, but at this point in the trip, we were all pretty exhausted and ready to head back home if you could believe it. However, I was most excited for Harry Potter World and had to keep my energy up to enjoy it--because I really did. 
Of course, here's me with the $7.50 butterbeer that everyone needs to get when they're there. It was just like a coffee or butterscotch frappuccino with a marshmallowy foam on top. So sweet, but super delicious. I wasn't feeling too great that morning, but I did go on the Hippogriff ride which was really fast and awesome. We also went around to Dr. Seuss Land and Jurassic Park Land to explore the other rides. We ended up getting completely soaked on a Popeye raft ride and I was so ready to get on the bus and change into my warm sweats. 

I know this post might not be as detailed as you might have hoped, but I want to just remember the things I want to remember and save the memories. I am probably running on only 6 hours of good sleep, but this morning I slept in until 11 and could have slept until 3 or 4. It was all so worth it and I wanted to thank my parents for helping me go on this trip and supporting me with flags for the past three years, my coach, Mrs. Riley for sticking with me and helping me become a better flagger and performer, my band directors, Mr. Riddle and Mr. Pavlik, for dealing with everyone and making this the first Disney trip our band has gone on, and to just all of my friends and supporters who have also helped me along this one hell of a journey through my high school career. I hope to remember this for the rest of my life and I am sincerely grateful and glad I got to be a part of this experience and marching band. 

We brought Terry home! #bus1 #yawyawyaw #whalejokes #JuilaMccoy

<3

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!