9.18.2018

Pushing Away Negative Thought Clouds

It's the beginning of the school year and all things are going good: you got new clothes, new classes, new friends, new professors, and a new kick in your step as you glide on through your first couple weeks of school. Sounds like the perfect beginning to an easy and smooth school year. Right? 

For some kids, it might be this simple, but for the average and anxious college student like me, fireworks are going off in my head. New things means more work. More work means more energy. And more energy means stress. Now I've addressed taking breaks from the internet and all that, but I don't think I've really stressed about how to take a mental break—an emptying of your mind and all bad thoughts that do not serve you whatsoever. 

Now I have to admit, I have had a pretty great beginning to my sophomore year. I've moved into my on-campus apartment, everything is pretty much settled and decorated (there will be a room and small apartment tour up at somepoint), I've started my major classes like public relations and my minor which is spanish, I have become the editor for my women's campus blog called Her Campus, and I just recently became a member of my college's Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). 

So, lots of things have been going on recently and I have been a busy college girl these past few weeks. I have so many things I would like to share about my experiences in these things so please stay tuned! I thought that this post would be a nice refresher as to what is going on in my life at the moment and what plans I have for the future. 

And you know what, not making plans is fine, too. I feel like a lot of college kids get so ahead of themselves with all their passionate "dreams" (ahem, like me) and try to apply themselves a bit more than they can handle. Not saying many people can't, but it can be easy to over-involve yourself very quickly when school begins. 

I'll be honest, I've even signed up for more than I think I can handle. While, it was my goal this year to be more involved, there comes a time when you have to accept the fact that you can't do everything all at once. You have to prioritize a balance of things you need to do and the things you want to do. 
It's time to take a break. I know we can find ourselves comparing the things we have and don't have or the things we've done and haven't done with that of others. I'm guilty of it too. However, when I have these negative thoughts, I do something in my mind that makes them instantly go away...

Picture these negative thoughts as a stream of air or part of a cloud. Your mind is a blue sky and your goal is to put those thoughts into that puffy cloud and blow them away to make it clear again. 

Especially when I'm doing yoga and I get distracted for the smallest moment, I do this and instantly come back to focus on the importance of the present moment. Not comparing myself to others, not thinking about past interactions, and not worrying about what I have done or have to do the next day. Clearing our minds, especially as a young college student, isn't always easy, but taking just a moment to come back and ground yourself will always be mentally rewarding. What's been on your mind lately? 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!